eClassics is pleased to announce the first annual Terence Awards. These cash awards will be given to those junior high or high school students whose videos convey Classics in a way that is informative, entertaining, or both. Please read on for details:
Prizes: Cash prizes will be awarded for the categories of Best Picture ($100) and Best Use of Latin in a Film ($250). Winners will also have their videos featured on the eClassics main page for one month, and will also receive a plaque and a free book from Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers. Special thanks to the Committee for the Promotion of Latin (CPL of CAMWS) for the grant that provides the cash award for Best Use of Latin in a Film.
How to Enter:
1) If you were a junior high or high school student (grades 6-12) during the period of September 1, 2007 - December 31, 2008, or if you were a homeschool student aged 11-18 during this same period, you are eligible to enter the contest.
2) Videos must contain Classical (or Classically-informed/inspired) content. Videos produced for Latin class projects, videos on subjects from Greek and/or Roman mythology, videos on Greek and/or Roman history will be considered. Video submissions containing Latin (all or in part) are strongly encouraged. Videos may be live-action, animated, or both, and can include audio and video samples as long as those samples are credited. Videos should follow the MPAA ratings guide for "G" or "PG" content. Submissions containing profanity, nudity, or obscenity will not be considered.
3) Videos must be submitted in .avi, .mov, or .mpg format, or via a link should the video be hosted on eClassics, YouTube, TeacherTube, or other online video content provider. Videos may be of any length. Videos must have been created during the period of September 1, 2007 - December 31, 2008.
4) Submissions may be posted by students (or their teachers) on eclassics.ning.com and must include a tag/keyword or "Terence". Alternately, submissions may also be submitted on CD, DVD, or flash drive, mailed to:
c/o Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers
1570 Baskin Road
Mundelein, IL 60060
5) One submission per student (or student group if created as a collaborative project).
6) Submissions must be postmarked on or before December 31, 2008. Late submissions will not be considered. Submissions cannot be returned.
7) Contest is open to current United States residents only.
8) Questions about the contest should be sent via email to email@example.com.
The top three videos submitted for Best Picture and Best Use of Latin in a Film will be posted on eClassics on February 1, 2009. Videos may be nominated for one or both categories. The finalists will be judged online at eclassics.ning.com by a panel of three Latin teachers as well as by the eClassics community at large. eClassics members can rate videos using the star-rating system (1 star=poor, 5 stars=excellent) between February 1, 2009, and February 28, 2009. The scores will be weighted at 40%; judges' votes will be weighted at 60%. Winners will be declared during a live webcast on Monday, March 3, 2009. Winners will be paid by check, or can have their winnings payable to their school's Latin Club or NJCL chapter.
eClassics Site Admin/Creator
Director of eLearning