eLatin eGreek eLearn

More wired than a Roman Internet café

Technology Success in the Classics Classroom

As a companion to my recent blog entry on Robert Patrick's Latin 3 AP Catullus classroom blog project, I'd be interested in hearing from both Classics teachers and students on other successful implementations of technology for learning and teaching Latin and/or ancient Greek. We'll talk about failures next week for balance. What worked for you?

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Though I had intended to keep my students away from Whitaker's Words, they were using it before I got onto the scene. At that point I had to figure out how to make sure they got the most out of the program. While I don't *know* that they use it as anything other than a decoder-ring style tool, they do know what all of the information presented is. And what a wealth of information it has: it will take a word apart and tell you everything you'd care to know about any particular form. It even has information about the source Whitaker used to define the word. The program even gives clues about spelling variations.

So while I can't claim to have made them less dictionary dependent, I can at least claim that I've made them savvy users of a tool they were going to use anyway.
Whitaker's Words is a pretty cool program -- free and easy to use. A lot of folks at Medieval Congress this year were quite keen to use it. There was even an instance where I was answering a question on on-line Latin dictionaries and three people stopped in their tracks to direct the student to Whitaker's. Download the program or use it live on-line by clicking here.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Andrew Reinhard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service